Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Split lip and blistered feet..

.
Was what I came home from team training sunday night with. As well as some encouragement and determination, and the rather freaky knowledge that this is just going to get continually more challenging. :)


Training last night was INSANE! And AWESOME!
It was about 44 degrees when we started training and within about 10 minutes there was a black out so we lost the lights and fans in the hall. Naturally we kept training.. I think this team would keep training through an earthquake lol.
I was with a really experienced BB for warmup.. we sparred, did pushups, did drills more pushups more drills more pushups more drills, situps, drills, and situps. I was out of breath and could feel the blisters starting to form. All good though, because THEN we started class!

We started off with the same kind of stuff as last week. Breathing drills, basic punches foward in zen kutsu dachi, block reverse backwards.
After a bit we changed to partner drills using the basics, and then did lots of cardio work with those drills. We had to face our partner, both do the drill once, bow, rotate, repeat, bow, rotate, repeat etc. 40 minutes into the class my entire feet were just one huge blister and I wanted to die!

We changed to a different defensive drill after a while and I managed to get a rest by being smacked in the face! I was being the target and just had to step backwards but the guy came through faster than I expected and smashed me in the mouth. Luckily I was already gritting my teeth together because any movement was hurting at that point, but I have never been so glad to wear a mouthguard before in my life. I just got punched in the top lip, and mouths being mouths, blood went everywhere. Anyway, I got a few minutes to recover and stop the bleeding, so I was quite relieved to get the break lol. Must remember that tactic for next time!

I jumped back into line and we continued with the drills. All with partners and all awesome but towards the last half hour of class we started doing a kicking drill I could barely lift my legs.. my feet were on fire and standing in ready stance hurt.
Of course at that point we changed partners and I got two of the best guys on the team to do kicking drills with. Argh! They were both doing these crazy hook kicks around my head and I was struggling to lift my legs above the belt. I wore a couple of A's kicks across my face and head so I'm taking that as a sign that even those guys were getting worn out, but far out... I have some work to do... All I wanted to do was lie in the corner and whimper quietly!

Probally the funniest part of the night was when we had just bowed out, it was pretty much pitch black in the changerooms, and you had to go to the toilet by sitting down and hoping for the best! Everyone was hobbling out when the power kicked back in and we got light again.


So now that's 2 weeks down, and I am yet to die, although my feet are still demanding a vacation three days later.

No comments: